Treatments For Fungal Nail Infections
Treatment isn’t always needed for a mild fungal nail infection because it’s unlikely to cause any further problems and you may feel it’s not worth treating.
Whether you decide to have treatment or not, you should still practise good foot hygiene to stop the infection getting worse or spreading to others.
Speak to your GP or pharmacist if you’re bothered by the appearance of the affected nail, or it’s causing problems such as pain and discomfort. They’ll probably recommend:
- antifungal tablets tablets taken once or twice a day for several months
- antifungal nail paints special paints applied directly to the nail over several months
- nail softening kits where a paste is used to soften infected parts of the nail, before they’re removed with a scraping device
A procedure to remove the nail completely may be recommended in severe cases. Laser treatment, where a high-energy laser is used to destroy the fungus, is also an option. But this is only available privately and can be expensive.
You can reduce your risk of developing a fungal nail infection by:
Nail salon equipment can sometimes be the source of fungal nail infections. If you regularly visit a salon, make sure any equipment used is properly sterilised between uses.
How To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus On Feet Quickly And Naturally
Nail fungus under the toes is a very unattractive condition that is usually very difficult to get rid of. Topical creams do not always work as planned and they can have very serious side effects attached. The home remedy world has a solution that is all organic and chemical free that actually works, and works well, on removing toe fungus without any side effects or discomfort.
How To Prevent Both Foot And Toenail Fungus
While toenail fungus and foot fungus arent the same condition, the following tips can help you prevent both, says Sundling:
- Practice good hygiene, such as keeping your feet clean.
- Alternate your shoes during the week. Your feet sweat all day long. Alternating your shoes allows them to dry out, so the fungus cant survive.
- Wear moisture-wicking socks that help dry out shoes and kill fungus. You can find these at running stores and athletic stores. If your socks are exceptionally sweaty, changing them more than once per day can help.
- Wear shoes in public places like locker rooms, pools, and gyms to limit exposure to fungus.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Fingernail Fungus With Vinegar
Should One Surgically Remove The Toenail Affected By Fungus Infection
Not everyone needs a surgical removal of the toenail fungus. Doctors try saving the nails as surgical removal of nails could be painful sometimes and it takes a long time for the nail to grow again.
However, when the infection is recurring or a severe one, there is risk of fungi entering other organs or damaging the entire foot. So it is essential for the nail to be removed.
The entire nail is not necessarily removed in all cases. The doctor may remove only the debridement when the fungus infection can be cut off.
And, in worst cases, the doctor may need to remove the entire nail to prevent its spread.
Thick Clip Quick Tips
Before we get into it, we should note that fungal nails are not the only way toenails grow thickened and cumbersome to clip.
Trauma to the nails, tightly fitting shoes with small toe boxes, and general heredity can sometimes cause nails to grow thick, so many of the tips well discuss here can apply to these situations as well.
First, however, we should definitely clear some helpful, fungus-specific tips out of the way. There is one big difference between toenail fungus and the conditions we mentioned above: the fungus is alive, and it can travel.
Request an Appointment
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Otc Toenail Fungus Treatment
Top 12 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus Naturally
Commonly known to the layman as fungal nail infection, Onychomycosis is an infection that occurs when fungus forms beneath the nails. The condition can develop as a result of poor foot hygiene, continuous exposure to moist environments, wearing unbreathable synthetic socks, accumulation of sweat in shoes, imbalanced pH levels of the skin, a compromised immune system, and conditions like diabetes that constricts blood flow.Upon infection, Onychomycosis will cause the nail to thicken, discolor, and eventually crumble into pieces. If left untreated, the condition can become painful. As the infection progresses, areas around the infected toenails or fingernails may swell and begin to give off a foul smell too.
How Can I Prevent Toenail Fungus
Theres no way to guarantee that you wont get toenail fungus. But you can take several steps to help prevent it:
- Avoid going barefoot in communal areas such as hotel rooms / showers, public showers, locker rooms and swimming pools. Most people pick up fungus in these situations. It helps to wear flip flops in these public areas.
- If you have a family member with foot fungus or nail fungus, try to use different shower or wear flip flops in the shower to avoid coming in contact with it.
- Trauma due to accidental or aggressive clipping of the nails can turn into portals of entry for the fungus.
- Clean your nail trimmer before using it.
- Do not tear or rip your toenails on purpose.
- If you have diabetes, follow all foot care recommendations from your healthcare provider.
- Keep your feet dry. Make sure to fully dry your feet after a shower.
- Soak toenails in warm water before cutting them. Or you can cut your nails after a shower or bath.
- Trim toenails straight across .
- Wear shoes that fit correctly. They should not be too loose or tight around the toes.
Read Also: How To Clean Your Toenails Fungus
How Do I Get Rid Of Black Toenail Fungus
- The best way to get rid of black toenail fungus is to trim the toenail.
- It is also a good idea to clean out the underlying callus underneath the toenail.
- The key to curing black toenail fungus is to make sure the new toenail can grow back in safely without more fungus underneath it.
- A podiatrist can help you do this, and this can greatly help remove the toenail fungus.
What Causes Fungal Nails And What Are Some Of The Risk Factors
In normal, healthy people, fungal infections of the nails are most commonly caused by fungus that is caught from moist, wet areas. Communal showers, such as those at a gym or swimming pools, are common sources. Going to nail salons that use inadequate sanitization of instruments in addition to living with family members who have fungal nails are also risk factors. Athletes have been proven to be more susceptible to nail fungus. This is presumed to be due to the wearing of tight-fitting, sweaty shoes associated with repetitive trauma to the toenails. Having athlete’s foot makes it more likely that the fungus will infect your toenails. Repetitive trauma also weakens the nail, which makes the nail more susceptible to fungal infection.
Elderly people and people with certain underlying disease states are also at higher risk. Anything that impairs your immune system can make you prone to getting infected with the fungus. These include conditions such as AIDS, diabetes, cancer, psoriasis, or taking any immunosuppressive medications like steroids.
Read Also: Is Black Mold A Fungus
How To Get Rid Of Toe Fungus
This article was co-authored by . Dr. Mark Co is a Podiatrist who runs his own private practice in San Francisco, California. Dr. Co specializes in treatments for bunions, ingrown toenails, toenail fungus, warts, plantar fasciitis and other causes of foot pain. He also offers custom orthotics for the treatment and prevention of foot and ankle issues. Dr. Co completed a Master of Business Administration at New York University and an MA in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Co also completed his DPM at the California School of Podiatric Medicine and a residency and internship at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Santa Clara, California. Dr. Co was awarded San Francisco’s “Top 3 Podiatrists” in 2018, 2019, and 2020. Dr. Co is also a member of the CPMA .There are 15 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 96% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 1,477,639 times.
Risk Factors Associated With Toenail Fungus
Certain health conditions and lifestyle factors can make you increasingly vulnerable to developing nail fungus:
Health: You have a greater chance of contracting a fungal nail infection if you suffer from one or more of the following issues:
- Other fungal skin infections, such as athletes foot or ringworm
- Increasingly brittle, crumbly, or ragged nail
- Nail that appears warped or distorted in shape
- Nail that appears dull without any luster
- Dark color, caused by the accumulation of debris under your nail
- Slightly foul odor in the affected area
Also Check: How To Get Fungus Off Toenails
Toenail Fungus: Causes And Risk Factors
Toenail fungus is a fungal infection in the toenail. It happens when a fungus anything from mold to yeast to other types of fungus gets in the nail bed from a cut or break in the nail or repetitive trauma to the nail, and penetrates the nail itself, says Dr. Sundling. The nail then continues to grow with the fungus. Once a nail plate is infected with fungus, it will never not be infected, and you must wait to see how it grows out and whether the new nail growing behind it is healthy. The new nail rarely grows in healthy without treatment, says Sundling.
Toenail fungus is very common 14 percent of people have it in North America, according to an article published in the journal PLoS Pathogens and its more common the older you get, adds Sundling. Wearing shoes that are too small can damage the nail and make it more vulnerable to fungus, as can having a fungal infection on the skin of the foot and not treating it, which could expose the nail to fungus. You may be more at risk to toenail fungus if you have diabetes, or a weaker immune system.
How Do You Get Rid Of Black Toenail Fungus
- The best way to get rid of black toenail fungus is to trim the toenail and remove the dry blood underneath the toenail.
- A good healthy toenail should grow back over time if you can successfully get rid of the black toenail fungus.
- Our favorite way to do this is to use a strong toenail clipper and trim the black toenail.
- We would also strongly recommend coming to see us if you are in Michigan.
- We are podiatrists that specialized in treating black toenail fungus and ruling out black toenail cancer!
Also Check: What Is Black Fungus Infection
Foot Fungus: Causes And Risk Factors
A foot fungus is a fungal infection of the skin, better known as athletes foot, says Sundling. The fungus enters through cracks in the skin. Its known as athletes foot because athletes or anyone who is more active and sweats a lot is more at risk. Kids are also more at risk, because they dont tend to wear different shoes, and changing your shoes is one way to avoid foot fungus.
Foot fungus is very common. It does not mean that someone is dirty or didnt bathe, and if you have a compromised immune system, you may be more susceptible, says Sundling.
How Long Will It Take For The Toe To Grow Back
Toenails grow slowly, taking 6 to 18 months to reach a normal length.
Right after the surgery, you may experience tenderness, redness, and swelling. Elevating the affected toe above heart level for about 48 hours after the procedure will help decrease pain and swelling.
Your doctor will provide instructions on how to change bandages, wash, and care for your toe. If you receive a prescription for oral antibiotics, be sure to continue taking them until theyre all gone.
It can take a few days to several weeks for full recovery. Much depends on the reason for the damaged toenail, whether your toe was also injured, and whether there was infection.
Risks of surgical toenail removal include infection and abnormal nail growth. Other risks may depend on the cause. For example, if you had a fungal infection, it may come back. You can lower your risk of recurrence by:
- keeping feet clean and dry
- wearing breathable socks and changing them when damp from sweat
- disinfecting shoes and changing them when damp
- wearing flip flops near public pools and in public showers
- letting your feet out for air when relaxing at home
- seeking medical attention at the first sign of fungus
Don’t Miss: How Can I Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus Naturally
Does Toenail Fungus Ever Go Away On Its Own
Onychomycosis even the name isnt all that attractive. But when it strikes your toenails, the effects can be downright unsightly. Toenail fungus is an incredibly common, and tenacious, condition to deal with. Once it takes hold, the fungal infection seemingly mocks your every effort at eradication, which is where we come in.
At Jeremy Moran: Foot & Ankle Specialist, our team of podiatric specialists understands the difficulty that this seemingly simple problem poses. A fungal infection in your toenails, though not dangerous, is an unwelcome guest that can take up residence and plague your toenails for months, and even years.
If youd like to explore how we help our patients in Tomball, Texas, wave goodbye to toenail fungus, once and for all, read on.
Dog Shampoo For Skin Fungus Over The Counter Cure For Toe Fungus
Blue Goo Nail Fungus Walgreen Fingernail Fungus Brown Strip Will Removing Toenail Get Rid Of Fungus. Can Primary Doctor Remove Fungus Toenail Doterra For Toenail Fungus. Toenail Fungus And Cures Does Bleach Work For Nail Fungus. How To Use Sunflower Oil To Treat Toenail Fungus Does Banixx Work On Toenail Fungus.
Red Texas Cichlid Skin Flaking Off Fungus Psoriasil Nail Fungus. Atheletes Foot Fungus On Chest Get Rid Of Fingernail Fungus Fungus On Skin Of Back. Soak Feet To Get Rid Of Toe Nail Fungus Can Athlete S Foot Fungus Appear On The Arms And Hands.
Don’t Miss: Which Doctor For Toenail Fungus
How To Naturally Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus My
A cure for toe nail fungus is admired by most people of people, and doctors are assured of their capacity to do so.
This solution is comprised absolutely of natural resources, with tea tree oil serving as the main active element.
Fungasil is considered to be the most valuable topical remedy cure by many.
Alternative Cures For Toenail Fungus
Although laser toenail fungus removal is an effective treatment for some patients, it is not the only option in the fight against onychomycosis. In addition to costly laser methods, there are several at-home remedies you can try to help clear up your toenail fungal infection. Just be sure to speak with a doctor before trying to rid your infection on your own, especially if you do not see improvement within a couple of weeks of administering natural treatments.
Notice concerning medical entries:
Articles having medical content shall serve exclusively for the purpose of general information. Such articles are not suitable for any diagnosis and treatment of individual illnesses and medical indications. In particular, they cannot substitute for the examination, advice, or treatment by a licensed physician or pharmacist. No replies to any individual questions shall be effected through the articles.
Read Also: What Kind Of Doctor For Nail Fungus
Why You Should Never Let Toenail Fungus Go Untreated
Have you retired those adorable strappy sandals, even though theyre the perfect complement to your summery outfits? They definitely wont work with whats going on with your toenails so youve had to opt for a closed-toe option. Toenail fungus is definitely not a good look.
There are plenty of home remedies, but they dont seem to work. And nail fungus doesnt just go away on its own. Fortunately, the team at Easton Dermatology Associates can address any nail fungus issue you may have with a diverse menu of treatment options. We customize our approach to your particular infections history and severity.
Does Toenail Fungus Turn Black After It Dies
Yes, a detached toenail can turn black after it dies.
- The most common pathway for this to happen is for fungus to an infected toenail. The toenail then can start to rip away from the toe after it gets thick and black.
- This can cause dry blood to form between the toenail and the skin, and eventually, the toenail dies.
- The toenail then starts to rot and become overrun by bacteria and toenail fungus.
- This eventually can make toenail fungus turn black after it dies.
Read Also: Who To See For Toenail Fungus
See A Podiatrist For Toenail Fungus Treatment
If youre uncomfortable with the appearance of your toes, make an appointment with a podiatrist. Professional, modern treatment methods are more effective at clearing up fungal infections than over the counter and home remedies.
Tackling a fungal infection on your own could be difficult and frustrating. Over-the-counter creams are often not strong enough to treat infections appropriately, and more complex treatments arent available for consumer use. The toenail fungus doctors, or podiatrists, at Arizona Foot Doctors are qualified to deal with many foot and ankle issues, including toenail fungus, and are dedicated to making you feel confident and comfortable throughout the treatment process.
After a gentle evaluation, our podiatrists will prescribe the most appropriate treatment for your situation, identify any underlying causes, and help you avoid future infections.