Does Laser Treatment For Nail Fungus Work
Since the treatment of fungus by a laser is relatively new, research into its effectiveness is ongoing, especially about at home devices . There have been some clinical trials that look at the efficacy of professional laser treatments in treating fungus, that show very positive results , but professional lasers are much stronger and more potent than at home devices, so the result doesnt apply.
At this point, consumers will have to rely on customer reviews and firsthand accounts to determine whether it is worth investing in an at home device. Fortunately, the Cure-Ex has solid reviews with many users claiming to be getting good results with the product.
How Effective Are Topical Treatments
So far, only a few studies have looked into topical nail fungus treatments with nail polishes or creams. Because these studies had weaknesses, the results should be interpreted with caution. Amorolfine has not yet been well studied. Ciclopirox polish and treatment sets with urea and bifonazole cream were tested in a few studies.
Research on the effectiveness of nail polish containing ciclopirox showed that, after one year:
- About 10 out of 100 people who did not use ciclopirox no longer had a detectable fungal nail infection.
- About 32 out of 100 people who used ciclopirox no longer had a detectable fungal nail infection.
In other words, treatment with ciclopirox got rid of the fungal infection in about 22 out of 100 people. But even if the fungus had gone away, the cosmetic result wasnt always satisfying. The nails only looked healthy after treatment in 7 out of 100 people.
Treatment with sets containing urea and bifonazole cream was tested in one study. It was compared with a treatment in which only urea cream was applied and the nail was removed, but without applying bifonazole cream afterwards. Three months after treatment was completed, it was found that:
- No fungus was visible or detectable in about 41 out of 100 people who only used urea cream.
- No fungus was visible or detectable in about 51 out of 100 people who used both urea and bifonazole cream.
How To Cure Toenail Fungus With Snakeroot Extract
Snakeroot extract is obtained from plants of the sunflower family. Studies have shown that snakeroot extract is quite effective in treating the black toenail fungus. Its effect on the infection is similar to that of various prescribed medications.
How to use?
- Apply the snakeroot extract on the fungal growth.
- For the desired results use this remedy every third day of the week in the first month, then two times a week in the second month and only once a week in the third month.
Benefits of Snakeroot extract
Snakeroot extract has potent antifungal properties that make it an effective remedy for how to get rid of toenail fungus. Application of it in the prescribed manner will eliminate the fungus causing the infection.
Use the snakeroot extract as prescribed. Do not overdo the application of the extract as it may cause an adverse effect.
Recommended Reading: Does Listerine Kill Fungus On Feet
Home Remedies For Fingernail Fungus Infection Best Natural Treatments:
Fingernail fungus could be downright terrifying so that people not only have to see but also experience the awful symptoms, causing uncomfort to patients. Scientifically called tinea unguium oronychomycosis, fingernail fungus is a relatively popular as far as nail infection that many people are concerning about. Some of the trigger factors that lead to fingernail fungus are included but not limited to former nail injuries, abundant perspiration, genetics, and several health diseases and problems I personally had my friend and family member who used to suffer from fingernail fungus simply because they did not wear gloves while using harsh cleaning products. Trust me, it was really terrible. The situation can turn to be painful, embarrassing, and all-around nasty rapidly. Thus, you will need to take extra care while treating this problem. I know that this is a very popular issue for individuals, so I have decided to collect information and combine the best home remedies for fingernail fungus infection in an only list that can definitely help you save a lot of money and efforts spending on a laser therapy to deal with fingernail fungus. Women should not forget that acrylic nail is also well-known to cause high risks of developing fingernail fungus. Just with a simple google image search, you will find out several pictures that will surely make you re-think about whether or not you should use artificial nails.
Kill Toenail Fungus With Clorox
Clorox is a brand name of bleach, and it can be used to kill infection-causing fungus. Mix half of a teaspoon per gallon of water and soak your feet in the mixture one to two times per day, 30 minutes each time, for several weeks. The bleach chlorinates the water, which in turn soaks into the nail fungus and kills the fungi. In case of skin irritation, reduce the amount of bleach used, or soak your feet less frequently.
- Clorox is a brand name of bleach, and it can be used to kill infection-causing fungus.
You May Like: How To Kill Nail Fungus Quickly
Natural Chinese Home Remedies For Toenail Fungus Treatment
The toenail fungal infection is an infection that is caused by live fungi inside, surpassing or relating to the nail. The nail could be for look-in or finger, legs or limbs. Fungus grows in Stygian and moist tryst with the addition of it loves wet atmosphere to live and to spread. The slash is a tough structure with tiny backup structures surrounding it like nail-beds, cuticles etc. The nail is closely attached just about the skin obstacle unsystematically too, there is uncompromisingly undersized-space anent between them. The fungus finds this painless a fair to middling greet to live and with regard to enhance as validation washing, those micro-spaces observe wet increased by pasty. In addition, the nail protects fungus and it has now working freedom digesting your important structure around together with inner eradicate affect nails.
Many remedies are available for prescribe for and preventing such fungal infection of the nails. Chinese medicines, too, shot at great role in treating such infections. Chinese medicines are known for their potency contrast unheard-of health ailments coupled with they are in practice since centuries. Some of the Chinese lodging remedies like Citri reticulate, Atractylodis alba, Poria cocos, Cinnamomi, Alismatis, Poly Polus, Jujube, Glycyrrhiza and Magonolia officinalis etc have been habitual to treat various fungal infections including toenail fungus.
How Is It Diagnosed
To diagnose a fungal nail infection, your doctor will:
- Look at the skin and nails on your hands and feet.
- Ask about your medical history. This includes any previous symptoms of nail damage or fungal nail infections.
The doctor may take a sample of skin and nail fragments from under the infected nail or a sample of the nail itself. Tests to examine the samples include:
- KOH preparation, to find out if the problem is caused by a fungus.
- Other lab tests, such as a fungal culture, may be done to find which type of fungus you have.
If the tests don’t show fungi but your doctor still thinks that you have a fungal infection, a nail biopsy may be needed.
Keep Fungus Away From Shoes In The First Place
- Clean nail clippers thoroughly in boiling water with a toothbrush. Wipe them dry with rubbing alcohol and follow up with a clean towel.
- Protect your feet around swimming pools and locker rooms by wearing flip-flops and drying feet thoroughly. These locations tend to be breading grounds for foot fungus, so you should take protective measures when in these locations.
Find out more about toenail fungus:
Living With A Nail Fungal Infection
If you have a nail fungal infection, some things can help:
- Keep your nails cut short and file down any thick areas.
- Dont use the same nail trimmer and file on healthy nails and infected nails. If you have your nails professionally manicured, bring your own nail file and trimmer from home.
- Wear waterproof gloves for wet work . Wear 100% cotton gloves for dry work.
- Wear socks made of wicking material . This pulls moisture away from the skin. Change your socks when they are damp from sweat or if your feet get wet. Put on clean, dry socks every day. Put over-the-counter antifungal foot powder inside your socks to keep your feet dry.
- Wear shoes with good support and a wide toe area. Dont wear pointed shoes that press your toes together.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public areas, such as locker rooms.
You May Like: Will Vinegar Cure Nail Fungus
What Oral Medications Are Available
To treat fungal nail infections from inside the body, you can take tablets that inhibit the growth of fungi or kill them. They are all prescription-only. Terbinafine and itraconazole are typically used for this purpose.
- Terbinafine is preferred if the nail fungus is caused by a skin fungus . This is usually the case.
- Itraconazole is generally used if the nail infection is caused by yeast or mold.
Itraconazole and terbinafine tablets can both be taken either continuously or with breaks between treatments. But they are used differently:
What Is The Treatment For Fungal Nails
Oral antifungal therapy has a high cure rate, depending on the medication. It can take nine to 12 months to see if it has worked or not, because that is how long it takes for the nail to grow out. Even when therapy works, the fungus may come back. Currently, an oral antifungal therapy is considered the best treatment for toenail fungus because of higher cure rates and shorter treatment duration compared to topical therapy.
Prescription oral medications that are effective against nail fungus include the following:
There are several innovative treatments that are still being tested:
- Laser therapy or uses application of light-activated agents onto the nail followed by shining light of a proper wavelength on the nail.
- Use of electrical current to help absorption of topical antifungal medications into the nail: This is also called iontophoresis.
- Use of a special nail lacquer that changes the micro-climate of the nail to make it inhospitable for the fungus to grow: If this works, it may be an inexpensive way to treat this problem in the future.
One way to definitively get rid of toenail fungus is by surgery. Surgical treatment of onychomycosis involves nail removal. However, this often only provides temporary relief, and recurrence is common unless additional antifungal medication is simultaneously used. However, surgical removal may be warranted when the affected nail is associated with other factors such as trauma and or infection.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Foot Fungus Out Of Shoes
Potential Risks And Complications
If untreated, athletes foot can result in a bacterial infection if skin is broken. This can happen due to scratching or when blisters pop or ulcers become infected. Any type of infection can be very serious and requires prompt treatment.
Athletes foot is also very contagious. It can easily spread to your hands, especially if youre scratching at the affected area. This fungus can also infect the area under your nails, which can be more difficult to treat, or the groin area.
Recommended Reading: Can Tinactin Cure Toenail Fungus
What Are Fungal Nail Infection Symptoms And Signs
- Fungal nail infection usually does not cause any symptoms unless the nail becomes so thick it causes pain when wearing shoes. People with fungal nail infection usually go to the doctor for cosmetic reasons, not because of physical pain or problems related to fungal nail infection.
- As the nail thickens, however, fungal nail infection may interfere with standing, walking, and exercising.
- Paresthesia , pain, discomfort, and loss of agility may occur as the disease progresses. Loss of self-esteem, embarrassment, and social problems can also develop.
- Severe cases of Candida infections can disfigure the fingertips and nails.
Symptoms or signs of fungal nail infection based on subtype
Fungal nail infection is divided into subtypes that can be identified based on where the infection appears to be located relative to the structure of the nail.
Also Check: How To Hide Toenail Fungus
How Do Health Care Professionals Diagnose A Fungal Nail Infection
Fungal nail infection can be identified by its appearance. However, other conditions and infections can cause problems in the nails that look like fungal nail infection. Fungal nail infection must be confirmed by laboratory tests before beginning treatment, because treatment is long, expensive, and does have some risks.
# 2 Applying Bleach Directly To The Nail
The second way you can use bleach nail fungus is to apply it directly to the infected nail. All you need is some bleach and a q-tip.
Here is how to do it:
Recommended Reading: Does Soaking Feet In Vinegar Help Nail Fungus
How To Spot A Nail Fungal Infection
Nail fungal infection, or onychomysis, is easy to spot. However, it is also easy to be mistaken for another nail disorder. Yellow nails, brittle nails, or blackened nails dont necessarily mean nail fungus they may be signs of other diseases or abnormalities. So what does a nail fungus look like? The infection starts with a fungusmost commonly dermatophytesthat infects one nail at first by getting in through the cracks of the nail. It is often painless, only making the nail look thickened and discolored. However, there are cases when the nail fungus infection can cause pain and discomfort. The nail may also begin to crumble from brittleness, or there may be white or yellow patches if the nail has been lifted from the skin underneath it . The fungus may also spread to and infect other nails.
As some of these symptoms can also be found in other nail and skin conditions, its recommended that the nail is assessed by a doctor. Proper diagnosis of the condition can mean proper treatment.
What Are Fungal Nail Infection Treatments
In the past, medicines used to treat fungal nail infection were minimally effective. Fungal nail infection is difficult to treat because nails grow slowly and receive very little blood supply. However, recent advances in treatment options, including oral and topical medications, have been made. Newer oral medicines have improved treatment of fungal nail infection. However, the rate of recurrence is high, even with newer medicines. Treatment has certain risks, and recurrence is possible.
Read Also: How Do You Know You Have Nail Fungus
Why Are Spices Good For Health And Toenail Fungus
Before we study each spice separately, it would be better to let you understand how useful spices are. Here we have given a general account about spices as many people doubt their value.
According to researches, spices are great in tackling the issue of inflammation. Herbs and spices, like mint, and cinnamon are great to cure any kind of inflammation in your body. As toenail fungus can also cause inflammation on your thumb thus, it would be wise to add these spices to your diet.
Moreover, ginger is also an anti-inflammatory spice, you can use it in powder form to fight inflammation.
These spices that would be discussed later contain phytochemicals that are good for the overall health. These are known to treat inflammation, strengthen the immune system, and inhibit the production of cancerous cells.
As hormones, such as androgens, cortisol, and other stress hormones make our bodies receptive for the toenail fungus and other skin infections, thus it is necessary to take food that can help regulate hormone production. Spices and herbs are quite efficient in doing so.
Recommended Reading: Remove Dip Nails
Creams & Topical Treatments For Toenail Fungus
Over-the-counter fungal creams like clotrimazole dont work well for treating toenail fungus. Prescription nail polishes are available, but they take longer to work and arent effective for severe cases. Thats because they dont penetrate the nail very well. That said, they are still a good option for people with mild cases of toenail fungus, or for those who cant take the oral antifungals. Examples include:
Side effects are usually minor and include redness or burning at the application site.
You might hear or read about medicated chest rub as a treatment for toenail fungus, but its mostly hype. Its a tempting option because its so safe, easy to use, and cheap. But its not likely to help.
You May Like: Does Kerasal Cure Toenail Fungus