How To Avoid Spreading Nail Fungus
Fungal toenails are not as contagious as flu or cold, but it is transmitted from person to person using things.
It is critical not to share things with your friends or even with your family.
- Antifungal powders or spray. Use these antifungals to your shoes regardless if you have the infection or not.
- No sharing of clothes. Fungi thrive in damp clothing. Whether you have fungi or not, do not share clothes with other people.
- Do not reuse towels. Microbes cling to fabric and transfer to other nails or other parts of your skin with or without an open wound.
- Disinfect bathroom after every use. Aside from clothing, fungi can also stick on hard surfaces. For extra safety, use shower shoes.
These steps can help protect you or the people around you from fungi transmission.
Practicing overall hygiene is the best way to avoid and prevent all kinds of infections.
Best Ointment: Fungi Nail Anti
Infused with five oils for skin healing
Easy-to-use brush applicator
Only for mild infections
Doesn’t heal the nail plate
Fungi Nail Antifungal Ointment uses an innovative design to address multiple forms of fungal infections one can find on their feet. Its wide-tip applicator applies the appointment on larger areas of the feet, such as the soles and in-between toes. Then the smaller applicator works to get around the nail cuticles and underneath the nail.
Once applied, the maximum-strength ointment kills the fungus with the active ingredients of zinc undecylenate and undecylenic acid to help treat toenail fungus. The ointment also soothes itching and burning that can come with an infection, all while healing the skin. For best results, apply twice a day to clean, dry feet.
The ointment also soothes itching and burning that can come with an infection, all while healing the skin. For best results, apply twice a day to clean, dry feet.
Active Ingredients: Zinc undecylenate 20% and Undecylenic acid 5% | Dose: Tube and brush applicator delivers the appropriate amount. Apply thin layer on affected area twice daily or as directed by a doctor. | Uses: Treats and prevents fungal infections fights athletes foot and ringworm
Using Baking Soda For Nail Fungus
The baking soda will be an effective treatment for nail fungus. You can count it as a home remedy for nail fungus. Baking soda is alkaline in nature, and it will take almost three months to treat toenail fungus. You can make a paste of baking soda and apply it on your toenail regularly for best results.
Don’t Miss: Is Coconut Oil Good For Nail Fungus
What Can You Do To Help Prevent Fungal Nail
Maintain good foot hygiene and check and trim your nails on a regular basis. Nails should be cut or filed straight across . Always make sure your nail clippers are disinfected
Look out for athlete’s foot in the skin between the toes and treat with an antifungal cream as it can soon spread to the nails
Wear shoes that fit well and have enough space to allow your feet to ‘breathe’ a little this reduces the possibility of warm, moist environments where the fungi can breed
Throw out old shoes, especially trainers
Wear cotton socks and change them regularly
Don’t share your towels and socks with other people
Avoid walking around barefoot in public spaces wear flip flops or sandals around the pool or in public changing rooms and showers
Don’t use the same nail accessories or tools on your infected nail as the nails which are clear
Natural Ways To Defeat Toenail Fungus
Dont let this sometimes painful condition sideline you. Treat it early with these easy, natural solutions.
The showers at the local gym may have left you with an unwelcome gift: onychomycosis, otherwise known as nail fungus. Or maybe its a souvenir from a barefoot run or just a sign that you arent changing your running socks often enough. Although it starts innocuously enough, as a white or yellow spot underneath your toenail, the nail can start to thicken and even crumble as the fungus penetrates deeper and deeper. And, while it can can appear on your fingers, the fungus is more likely to appear and persist in your toenails because of the warm, moist environment of your shoes, where these little buggers can thrive, and unfortunately, where its most likely to affect your running.
If you see a dermatologist, youll most likely get a prescription for an antifungal oral medication such as Lamisil or Sporanox, which tend to be expensive and carry side effects ranging from skin rashes to potentially toxic liver damage. Thats not pleasant, which is why so many people look for a drug-free alternative, says Joe Graedon, MS, a pharmacologist at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy at Chapel Hill and author of The Peoples Pharmacy. There are newer topical treatments, such as Kerydin, but they also require a prescription and can take up to a year to work. Here are some of Graedons top drug-free remedies for toenail fungus.
Read Also: How To Get Fungus Off Toenails
You May Like: How Can I Get Rid Of Fungus
Doctors Weigh Best Treatments
The best treatment for fungal nail infections is a prescription that your dermatologist can prescribe that you take every day for two-to-three months. The pill is not for everyone, since oral antifungals can interact with other medications and can affect the liver.
Fortunately if you dont want to or cant take a pill, there are topical solutions to treat nail fungus. Although topical medications are desirable because of the low risk of side effects and interaction with other medications, they have much longer treatment regimens. Generally, topical medications have a lower clearance rate compared to oral pills.
Newer topical antifungals including Efinaconazole and Tavaborole have better penetration of the nail plate and so they work better compared to older topical medications, says Dr. Ng. She says the topical medications work best if you only have partial nail involvement.
Lasers are approved by the FDA to temporarily increase the amount of clear nail. However, the cure rates are lower than oral medications and topical solutions.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Foot Fungus Between Toes
Treatment For Fungal Infection
Once you get a fungal infection, treating it will be difficult, costly, and wont easily go away.
Once you notice an occurring fungal infection, immediately consult your doctor. A long overdue fungal infection will lead to complete nail removal.
It will take up months to a year to treat nail fungal infection. So to prevent this from happening, practice hygiene, and take precautions.
You May Like: What To Use To Treat Toenail Fungus
What Causes Fungal Nails And What Are Some Of The Risk Factors
In normal, healthy people, fungal infections of the nails are most commonly caused by fungus that is caught from moist, wet areas. Communal showers, such as those at a gym or swimming pools, are common sources. Going to nail salons that use inadequate sanitization of instruments in addition to living with family members who have fungal nails are also risk factors. Athletes have been proven to be more susceptible to nail fungus. This is presumed to be due to the wearing of tight-fitting, sweaty shoes associated with repetitive trauma to the toenails. Having athlete’s foot makes it more likely that the fungus will infect your toenails. Repetitive trauma also weakens the nail, which makes the nail more susceptible to fungal infection.
Elderly people and people with certain underlying disease states are also at higher risk. Anything that impairs your immune system can make you prone to getting infected with the fungus. These include conditions such as AIDS, diabetes, cancer, psoriasis, or taking any immunosuppressive medications like steroids.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Baking Soda
- Mix 1 cup apple cider vinegar with 1 cup water.
- Soak the infected nail in the mixture for 10 15 minutes.
- Remove from the solution and pat dry thoroughly.
- Now, Mix several tablespoons of baking soda into enough water to soak the nails.
- After drying the nail thoroughly, soak your nails in diluted baking soda.
- After 15 20 minutes, remove and pat dry thoroughly using a paper towel.
- Repeat this process 2 times in a day.
You May Like: What Cures Nail Fungus Naturally
What The Experts Say
The most common presentation of toenail fungus is a white/yellow discoloration of the nail that is thick and filled with yellow/white keratin debris. The more severe the toenail fungus, the thicker the nail, and the more nails involved makes it that much harder to treat the nails even with effective therapies.”Orit Markowitz, MD, founder and CEO of OptiSkin treatment center in New York City.
Apple Cider Vinegar Peroxide Vicks And Antibiotic Ointment
- Clip the nail back a little in the affected area just enough to show a little bit of underlying skin.
- Combine 1 cap full of apple cider vinegar and peroxide.
- Dip a q-tip in the mixture and rub it on the affected area.
- Note: It may fizz a little bit but it reduces in few minutes.
- Repeat the application 3 times a day.
- During the daytime, rub some antibiotic ointment on your nail fungus.
- Reapply whenever your nails would get wet.
- At night, apply Vicks vapor rub and secure it with a Band-Aid. Make sure the band aid is not too tight.
- Repeat this process daily. You will see the results in few days.
You May Like: What To Use For Grass Fungus
Softening And Scraping Away The Nail
As it can take a long time for antifungal medication to work, some people may prefer to use a treatment that involves softening and removing infected parts of nail over a few weeks.
Treatment kits are available from pharmacies that contain a 40% urea paste, plasters and a scraping device. The paste softens the infected parts of the nail, allowing them to be scraped away so they can be gradually replaced with healthy nail.
To use the treatment:
What Is The Best Medication For Toenail Fungus
Below is a list of the most recommended prescription treatment for toenail fungus.
|Best medications for toenail fungus|
|200 mg once daily for 12 consecutive weeks||Nausea, vomiting, rash, headache|
Dosage is determined by your doctor based on your medical condition, response to treatment, and age. Other possible side effects exist. This is not a complete list. A very rare side effect can be trouble breathing if this occurs, seek immediate emergency medical attention.
Read Also: Can You Put Nail Polish On Toenails With Fungus
What Oral Medications Are Available
To treat fungal nail infections from inside the body, you can take tablets that inhibit the growth of fungi or kill them. They are all prescription-only. Terbinafine and itraconazole are typically used for this purpose.
- Terbinafine is preferred if the nail fungus is caused by a skin fungus . This is usually the case.
- Itraconazole is generally used if the nail infection is caused by yeast or mold.
Itraconazole and terbinafine tablets can both be taken either continuously or with breaks between treatments. But they are used differently:
How Is Toenail Fungus Treated
Toenail fungus is notoriously tricky to treat. You may need to treat the condition for several months to get rid of the fungus. Still, toenail fungus often comes back.
A dermatologist or podiatrist can explain your treatment options. If you have a mild case that doesnt bother you, your provider may recommend no treatment.
Toenail fungus treatment options include:
- Oral antifungal medication: You take prescribed medication, such terbinafine , itraconazole and fluconazole , to treat the fungi. You will need to take this medication every day for several months . Your provider may use blood tests to check for potential medication side effects. These medications can affect the liver and interact with other medications, so oral antifungals are not for everyone.
- Topical medication: You regularly apply a medication right on the nail. The medication treats the fungi over time. Topical medications are most effective when paired with oral medications.
- Laser treatments: Your provider directs a high-tech laser beam and special lights at the toenail to treat the fungus. Lasers are FDA approved for temporary increase of clear nail in nail fungus but is not a cure. Cure rates for laser treatment are lower than oral and topical mediations so they are not typically used as first-line treatments for nail fungus.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Toenail Fungus Over The Counter
Prevention Tips To Keep Your Toes Fungus
Along with proper treatment and care, its vital to follow the below precautionary measures to keep your toes fungus-free indefinitely.
- Carry shower sandals if youre a frequent visitor to wet public places.
- Place your shoes and socks under direct sunlight regularly for 4-5 hours to kill fungus.
- Wear footwear that is comfortable and lets the air move through them freely.
- Use sanitized nail clippers to cut fungus-affected nails.
- Avoid the usage of sweaty and worn-out socks.
- No need to share your shoes and socks with anyone.
- Minimize the use of artificial nails and nail polish.
- Rinse your toes daily with an anti-fungal soap and dry properly.
Toenail fungus can be unsightly, but its a common problem. You might have some inflammation, swelling, discolouration, thickening or brittleness of the nail, and if there is an infection it could be somewhat painful.
It occurs when the fungus is left to thrive in an environment such as when you have a weakened immune system or have your feet continuously exposed to moist environments .
If you dont look to treat it, the fungus can wreak havor on your nails causing cracks, splits or even a complete loss of the nail.
There are a range of over-the-counter treatments available in chemists and supermarkets, including Canestan, Daktarin and Loceryl, but treatment doesnt have to be expensive. In fact, various home remedies can cure the infection in the same time as a chemical product.
Read Also: Nail Envy Opi How To Use
How Can I Prevent Toenail Fungus
Theres no way to guarantee that you wont get toenail fungus. But you can take several steps to help prevent it:
- Avoid going barefoot in communal areas such as hotel rooms / showers, public showers, locker rooms and swimming pools. Most people pick up fungus in these situations. It helps to wear flip flops in these public areas.
- If you have a family member with foot fungus or nail fungus, try to use different shower or wear flip flops in the shower to avoid coming in contact with it.
- Trauma due to accidental or aggressive clipping of the nails can turn into portals of entry for the fungus.
- Clean your nail trimmer before using it.
- Do not tear or rip your toenails on purpose.
- If you have diabetes, follow all foot care recommendations from your healthcare provider.
- Keep your feet dry. Make sure to fully dry your feet after a shower.
- Soak toenails in warm water before cutting them. Or you can cut your nails after a shower or bath.
- Trim toenails straight across .
- Wear shoes that fit correctly. They should not be too loose or tight around the toes.
Recommended Reading: Does Urea Kill Toenail Fungus
Laser For Toenail Fungus
If you have a wedding coming really soon, and you want to look good think of having a laser session to treat toenail fungus. this is the fastest treatment to root up fungus. However, you need to have a lot of money to execute this process.
There are two types of leaser treatment for toenail fungus. The expensive one is the cold laser it will take only a few minutes to remove the toenail fungus. The second option is the hot laser treatment for nail fungus. it is not recommended of children, older adults, and pregnant women. It will take almost 4 weeks for the treatment of toenail fungus.
You can read about the Laser treatment in detail from various experts like Dr. Ron has covered everything regarding laser treatment to cure toenail fungus, from where it would be much easier for you to understand the treatment.
Also, there are many home laser devices which one can use as laser treatment for fixing the fungus.
However, the regular method is very expensive in terms of cost.
Treatments For Fungal Nail Infections
Treatment isn’t always needed for a mild fungal nail infection because it’s unlikely to cause any further problems and you may feel it’s not worth treating.
Whether you decide to have treatment or not, you should still practise good foot hygiene to stop the infection getting worse or spreading to others.
Speak to your GP or pharmacist if you’re bothered by the appearance of the affected nail, or it’s causing problems such as pain and discomfort. They’ll probably recommend:
- antifungal tablets tablets taken once or twice a day for several months
- antifungal nail paints special paints applied directly to the nail over several months
- nail softening kits where a paste is used to soften infected parts of the nail, before they’re removed with a scraping device
A procedure to remove the nail completely may be recommended in severe cases. Laser treatment, where a high-energy laser is used to destroy the fungus, is also an option. But this is only available privately and can be expensive.
You can reduce your risk of developing a fungal nail infection by:
Nail salon equipment can sometimes be the source of fungal nail infections. If you regularly visit a salon, make sure any equipment used is properly sterilised between uses.
Recommended Reading: Do Probiotics Cure Toenail Fungus
What Are Common Side Effects Of Psoriasis Medication
There are a variety of medication types and drug classes used to treat psoriasis. This means that side effects can vary greatly depending on your lifestyle and other medications youre taking. This is not a full list and you should discuss any possible side effects with your healthcare professional.
Some of the most common side effects of psoriasis medication include:
- Application site redness