How To Cure A Skin Fungal Infection
Fungi are microorganisms that live in different places, including the human body. They can appear for different reasons and cause different symptoms such as skin irritation and redness that can lead to infections. These infections are usually found in moist areas of our body, since these are the areas where more fungi can be found. An infection can be caused by a weak immune system or from suffering from an illness, although in most cases we contract it due to contact with various factors. Fungal infections can appear on different parts of our skin and body as well as for example our nails and scalp.
These infections produce itching and discomfort, and it’s important to treat them well. In this article we explain how to cure a skin fungal infection.
Before starting, we must understand the reasons why a fungal infection can occur in our body. Causes of a fungal infection:
- First, it is essential to have good personal hygiene, as it is one of the main causes of fungal infections.
- A poor diet that leads to an immune system deficiency.
- Contact with people who have a fungal infection. Fungal infections are contagious and among humans they are mostly spread through sexual intercourse.
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics and other medicines can increase our chances of developing fungal infections by weakening our immune system.
Keep Drinking Natural Juice
Nutrients like vitamins have the potential to combat the fungus. Therefore, a huge amount of natural fruit juice, consists of vitamins are essential part of the hair and scalp fungus treatment at home. Homemade juices made from cucumbers, carrots and aloe-vera are also a positive option. If natural juice is not available, one can also opt for supplements such as B complex, folic acid and Vitamin E etc. Including these juices in your daily diet will help to cure hair fungus naturally. Read here best vitamins for hair fall control.
How Do Dermatologists Diagnose Nail Fungus
To find out if a patient has nail fungus, a dermatologist examines your nails and nearby skin. Its important to check the skin because the fungus can spread. You may already have a skin infection caused by fungus like athletes foot.
To get rid of the infection, you will need to treat all infected areas.
Before giving you the diagnosis, your dermatologist may also take some samples. Collecting a bit of debris from beneath a nail, trimming off part your nail, or scraping off a bit of skin can be very helpful. In a lab, these samples can be examined under a microscope to find out whats causing the problem.
Are you hiding an infected nail with nail polish?
Be sure to ask your dermatologist if you can wear nail polish while treating nail fungus.
Read Also: Will Salicylic Acid Kill Toenail Fungus
Are There Other Types Of Fungal Scalp Infections
Malassezia is a group of fungi that are naturally present on the surface of the skin. They are opportunistic in nature, in the sense that they usually do not cause any harm to the skin. However, they can contribute to scalp infections like seborrheic dermatitis under certain conditions. They can also worsen other conditions like psoriasis.
Now you know that Tinea capitis is a fungal infection of the scalp that results in the formation of circular marks on the skin. It is highly contagious, and thus proper care and precautions are recommended. A number of treatments are available to fight them, which include oral, topical and home remedies.
Trichomycosis Due To Dermatophytes
Tinea capitis is the most common infection, which is usually seen in children in the age group of 5-10 years. Male children are more commonly affected. The infection usually occurs through the use of contaminated blades in the pilgrimage centers where ritual head shaves are carried out in large numbers, mostly in unhygienic and overcrowded surroundings. Infection also occurs through fomites like towels, combs, hair brushes and theater seats.
The grey patch type of tinea capitis caused exclusively by anthropophilic agents is characterized by surface skin and hair infection with white scales along with broken bits of hair, a mixture of black and white resulting in the grey colour . The black dot type of tinea capitis caused by T. violaceum and T. tonsurans shows minimal surface infection and hairs are predominantly involved and the broken stubs of hair on the scalp give the appearance of black dots . Seborrhoeic type of tinea capitis is similar to seborrhoeic dermatitis in adults. Smooth patch of baldness resembling alopecia areata with minimal scaling also occurs in tinea capitis and hence all suspected cases of alopecia areata in children should be subjected for investigations to exclude tinea capitis.
Black dot type with Tinea facei involving the pinna
Tinea corporis with intra lesional papules suggestive of hair invasion
Endothrix spores in wet mount
Microscopic colony morphology showing chlamydospores
You May Like: Can Nail Polish Cause Toenail Fungus
Make Use Of Listerine
The product contains large number of antimicrobial properties. It contains key components like thympol, eucalyptol and menthol that kills the fungus and also treat the infection.
- Take half cup of listerine and halfcup of lukewarm water. Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse off the shampoo thoroughly. Dry the excessive water from your scalp.
- Take a bowl, mix the listerine and warm water and pour it on your scalp. Give a gentle massage on your scalp for a minute or two. Wash your hair with lukewarm water then cool water. Blow dry your hair.
How To Regrow Hair Naturally Home Remedies
Onion Juice is an effective home remedy for hair growth. It has been shown to successfully aid in the regrowth of hair caused by conditions like alopecia areata and could help in helping you grow hair back after fungal infection.
Onion juice can aid in hair growth due to the presence of sulfur which boosts collagen production in the tissues thereby promoting the re-growth of hair.
It also improves blood flow to the cuticles and boosts keratin production which, in turn, helps in the re-growth of hair.
To apply this remedy, cut an onion into several slices and squeeze out its juice .
Apply the juice to your scalp and leave it for about 10 15 minutes. Then wash off with a mild shampoo.
Coconut oil is rich in many nutrients that aid in hair growth. The high presence of fatty acids makes it one of the best choices for individuals looking to grow hair back after fungal infection.
If you have oily hair, you should apply the coconut oil and leave it overnight or for a few hours before washing it off. Dry hair types can use this as a leave-in treatment.
Aloe Vera is a popular natural remedy for hair loss. It has properties that can reduce dandruff and unblock hair follicles.
To use Aloe Vera for hair treatment, you can either buy and apply pure Aloe Vera gel to your scalp or buy shampoos and conditioners that contain Aloe Vera.
You can also a few drops of rosemary oil into your shampoo and conditioner.
Read Also: How Do You Kill Fungus In Your Body
General Advice If You Are Diagnosed With Scalp Ringworm
If you are confirmed or your child is confirmed as having scalp ringworm then:
- Where possible, you should throw out or disinfect objects that may be contaminated with fungal spores – for example, hats, combs, pillows, blankets and scissors. This aims to prevent re-infection after treatment and to prevent passing on the infection to others.
- You should not share towels. Wash used towels frequently.
- It is not necessary to keep children off school. However, to ensure that the infection is not transmitted to others, they should carefully follow the recommended treatment.
- Monitor the scalps of other children in the household. If there are any signs of scaling or hair loss then seek medical advice.
- If a pet is suspected of being the source of the fungal infection then seek advice from a vet for treatment.
Common Scalp Conditions And How To Treat Them
Its not only your hair health you need to think about. Strong, beautiful hair can only grow from a healthy scalp. Some of the most common scalp conditions cause itchiness, rashes and hair loss. So watch out for the symptoms and find out how to treat them!
Seborrheic Dermatitis is one of the most common scalp conditions that is defined by dandruff and patches of grease. In a worst case scenario, it can even lead to hair loss! Its not contagious but is an obvious inconvenience. Seborrheic Dermatitis is associated with stress and seasonal changes in your body, such as weakened immune system or seasonal depression, so tends to worsen in winter and early spring. Besides these causes, this disease can also be triggered by Parkinsons, diabetes, obesity or caused by fungus. To fight this condition, youll need a prescription-strength ketoconazole shampoo that should be applied directly to your scalp for 5-10 minutes prior to wetting your hair and followed by a moisturising shampoo and conditioner to prevent excessive dryness.
Read Also: Does Emuaid Cure Toenail Fungus
What The Experts Say
The most common presentation of toenail fungus is a white/yellow discoloration of the nail that is thick and filled with yellow/white keratin debris. The more severe the toenail fungus, the thicker the nail, and the more nails involved makes it that much harder to treat the nails even with effective therapies.”Orit Markowitz, MD, founder and CEO of OptiSkin treatment center in New York City.
Common Scalp Fungal Infections That Lead To Hair Loss
Ringworm is a common scalp fungal infection that affects mostly children but it can still affect people of all age groups.
The infection is not caused by a worm, rather by fungi named dermatophytes. The common name for the disorder refers to the appearance of a ring on the affected skin.
Ringworm is caused by fungi called dermatophytes. Dermatophytes thrive on sweaty skin and get into the hair fibers on the scalp. These hairs become frail and break off easily, leaving a bald patch of skin.
The most common signs of ringworm in affected individuals are reddening, crusting and scaling of the scalp. Some individuals might experience intense itching in the affected area.
You will have to visit your doctor to run a diagnosis to confirm that the symptoms signal the onset of a ringworm infection.
Ringworm can lead to significant hair loss in the affected individuals and up to 50% hair loss in affected children.
Luckily, this condition is easily treatable through antifungal medication, like terbinafine, clotrimazole, and miconazole.
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition that has been linked to hair loss, but the condition doesnât directly cause hair loss.
The actual cause of seborrheic dermatitis is not yet known, but genetics is believed to be a contributing factor.
Certain conditions such as head injury and stroke can also be associated with the condition.
Read Also: How Do You Kill Fungus In Your Yard
What Is The Differential Diagnosis For Tinea Capitis
The differential diagnosis list is extensive and includes any condition which may present with patchy alopecia, inflammation, or scaling of the scalp. Examples include:
- Alopecia areata and trichotillomania cause patchy alopecia but are not scaly
- Seborrhoeicdermatitis, atopic dermatitis, and scalp psoriasis may mimic non-inflammatory tinea capitis, but the scale is usually more diffuse
- Discoid lupus erythematosus and lichen planopilaris cause scarring alopecia
- Bacterial scalp folliculitis, impetigo, pyoderma, and pyogenicabscess may resemble inflammatory tinea capitis.
Treatment Of Scalp Fungal Infection
The treatment of fungus or fungal infection in the scalp is typically done to eliminate the infection and prevent it from manifesting itself. Early diagnosis of the infection is essential since it might assist to avoid serious complications. There are numerous topical ointments and medicines that are commonly given to eliminate and treat fungal infections, the most frequent of which are:
- Selenium sulphide is a popular antifungal medicine that is available as a shampoo. The typical content of selenium sulphide is about 1%. This aids in the treatment of fungus-induced dandruff and scalp yeast infection.
- Ketoconazole is another antifungal scalp treatment that helps with fungal infections. It may stay in the hair for up to 72 hours, allowing it to treat the fungal infection for a longer period.
- Povidone-iodine is an antiseptic solution that doctors often use to treat fungal infections of the scalp. It may be used topically to provide relief.
- Another antifungal drug that is given over the counter is zinc pyrithione, which is found in anti-dandruff shampoos and can help relieve fungus on the head scalp.
- Apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil, both of which have antifungal properties, are two traditional at-home treatments. However, you should only use tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar after consulting with your doctor.
Read Also: What Treatment For Nail Fungus
Causes Of Hair Fungus
Hair infections are usually a result of bacteria or fungus entering the scalp through damaged skin or via the hair follicles. It can also be exacerbated or made a more frequent occurrence if the person in question suffers from skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis. Hair scalp fungus infections are very contagious, They can be transferred person to person very easily, particularly when it comes to children, who often play closely together and can require greater support with personal care such as hair brushing and washing.
Examples of more common infections that are caused by bacteria or fungus in hair, scalp and other areas of the body include ringworm , folliculitis and impetigo. These, and others, can be brought about by exposure to damp environments and direct contact with an infected animal, for example a pet or an animal that the person has touched at the zoo or on a farm. If you suspect that your pet or working animal is suffering from ringworm, you must consult a vet straight away to prevent it spreading.
Finally, candida is another fungus which causes the common yeast infection, thrush. It can appear anywhere on the body, including in the hair and scalp. It can be caused by a number of factors, including unhealthy diet, stress, certain medications, pregnancy, inflammatory conditions and a weakened immune system. Cuts in the skin can also allow the candida fungus to enter the body.
How To Get Rid Of Hair Fungus And Bacterial Infections
Just like the rest of your body, your scalp and hair can be susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections, which can cause discomfort and more serious problems if left untreated. There are different types of scalp and hair fungus that have different reactions to the skin and require different treatments to help answer the question: how to get rid of hair fungus.
Many are highly contagious, meaning that anyone infected by bacteria or fungus in hair should take precautions not to pass it on. For example, they should avoid physical contact with others and not share personal items, such as towels or hairbands etc until the fungus has cleared up altogether. There are also different types of hair fungus shampoo that can help.
You May Like: Will Toenail Removal Cure Nail Fungus
What Questions Should I Ask My Doctor
You are sure to have questions if you or your child develop ringworm. You might ask your healthcare provider:
- How did I get ringworm?
- How long is ringworm contagious?
- Should I stay home from work until the ringworm infection is gone?
- What steps can I take to prevent ringworm from spreading to other parts of my body?
- What steps can I take to prevent ringworm from spreading to other people?
- Whats the best treatment for ringworm?
- Should I avoid any medications or treatments?
- What steps can I take to keep from getting ringworm again?
- How can I tell if my pet has ringworm?
- Should I look out for signs of complications?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Ringworm is pretty unpleasant, but antifungal medications will help you get rid of the fungus that causes ringworm. The treatment may take a little time, but itâs important to follow your healthcare providers treatment plan for as long as recommended. Ending treatment too soon can cause ringworm to return and make the infection harder to treat. Ask your provider about how you can keep ringworm from spreading to other parts of your body and to other people.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 09/24/2020.
Also Check: How To End Toenail Fungus
Symptoms Of Tinea Capitis
Tinea capitis is a fungal infection that typically affects the scalp and hair shaft. It is also known as ringworm of the scalp because of how it looks. This infection is determined by circular marks on the scalp. It is more common in children but can affect adults too.
An itchy and patchy scalp is the most common symptom of tinea capitis. Other common signs include red patches on the scalp and bald spots. You may also notice black dots in areas where your hair has broken off.
Other signs that you may have tinea capitis:
- Swollen lymph-nodes
- Painful scalp
Recommended Reading: What Kills Toenail Fungus Fast
Homemade Margosa Hair Rinse
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of hair fungus fast. It is because Margosa has natural anti-bacterial and hair conditioning properties that will help to treat scalp fungus infection and will also meet your scalps nutritional requirements, thus making it as an effective home remedy to get rid of hair fungus naturally. Margosa also makes your hair thicker.
- Collect the Margosa herb, then boil a handful of this herb after cleaning it well. After boiling the mixture, allow it to cool down before applying on the head.
- The scalp needs to be softly massaged after application of the Margosa combination. Leave this mixture on your head for a few minutes. Repeat it on a daily basis and you will have the positive results.