Tips To Prevent Fungal Nail Infections
Making a few simple lifestyle changes can help prevent a fungal infection of the nails. Taking good care of your nails by keeping them well trimmed and clean is a good way to prevent infections.
Also avoid injuring the skin around your nails. If youre going to have damp or wet hands for an extended amount of time, you may want to wear rubber gloves.
Other ways to prevent fungal infections of the nails include:
- washing your hands after touching infected nails
- drying your feet well after showering, especially between your toes
- getting manicures or pedicures from trustworthy salons
- avoiding being barefoot in public places
- reducing your use of artificial nails and nail polish
Products to help you avoid nail fungus
If youre prone to excessive moisture around your fingernails or toenails, consider buying:
Getting Toenail Fungus Treatment Immediately
If you suspect that you have been exposed to toenail fungus, you must act immediately. The longer you leave it, the more likely it will grow and spread across your home. Worse, it can even spread to your hands and groin.
Applying a toenail fungus cream or nail repair gel can eliminate the infection and remove any of the accompanying symptoms, while helping your nails grow back stronger than ever before.
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, a fungal infection can return. If so, continue applying your toenail fungus cream and make use of these preventative measures.
Dr. Mitchell Kline and Dr. Jeremy Green are widely recognized as two of the most admired and trusted dermatologists globally. Due to our patented Drs. Kline + Green product line, we can provide instant nail repair relief. To enjoy beautiful clean nails, place your order today. You wont be disappointed.
Apply Or Consume Garlic
A 2019 study indicates that garlic is an antifungal powerhouse, potentially making it a gem for treating toenail fungal infections. It is best to place crushed or chopped garlic on the affected area daily, Hayag says. It is important to take caution when following this remedy, as garlic has the potential to cause chemical burns to the skin. To avoid any burns, theres also the option of taking garlic supplements to see if that might help clear things up.
Also Check: What Is Good To Treat Toenail Fungus
Luxuriate In Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is known for being incredibly calming for the senses, sure, but its also a great option for calming toenail fungal infections. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Microbiology, lavender provides a powerful antifungal punch. Lavender essential oil shows a potent antifungal effect against strains of fungi that are responsible for toenail fungus and other skin fungal infections, Hayag explains. When using lavender oil to treat toenail fungus, it is best to apply one to two drops of lavender oil to the affected nail and allow it to soak for 10 minutes. After soaking, she suggests gently scrubbing the area with a clean toothbrush and repeating the process daily until the infection has been resolved.
Softening And Scraping Away The Nail
As it can take a long time for antifungal medication to work, some people may prefer to use a treatment that involves softening and removing infected parts of nail over a few weeks.
Treatment kits are available from pharmacies that contain a 40% urea paste, plasters and a scraping device. The paste softens the infected parts of the nail, allowing them to be scraped away so they can be gradually replaced with healthy nail.
To use the treatment:
Also Check: Does Medicare Cover Toenail Fungus
Treat Your Nail Fungus Symptoms With An All
Regular topical solutions will often only treat the outer part of the nail and skin around it but not the fungus itself.
H-Nail Fungus Formula works by reducing the fungus in the nail bed. The product is concentrated with a deep penetrating anti-fungal action. For extra benefit, add a drop to the bath water. When used as directed, the formula will reduce the symptoms of nail fungus such as discoloration so that your finger nails and/or toenails are restored to their former healthy appearance.
Sizing Up Risk Factors
People who have chronic athletes foot are at risk for developing toenail fungus, and there seems to be a genetic predisposition. Sometimes the fungus gets into the nail bed after the nail was cracked or cut too short. The fungus also lurks in shared showers, around pools and a lot of Vlahovics patients tell her their troubles started after getting a pedicure.
The very place where people go to beautify their feet and toenails is often responsible for spreading disease, says Tennessee podiatrist Dr. Robert Spalding. He has written a book called Death by Pedicure and has been on a decade-long crusade to make nail salons safer.
They use contaminated instruments, in some cases, or they dont take the time to properly disinfect and follow their state protocols, Spalding said. Nail fungus and other microorganisms are really tough to kill, and Spalding says the only sure-fire way to sterilize the instruments is to use something called an autoclave.
An autoclave is basically a pressure cooker, he said. Its steam under pressure, for a certain amount of time. Its how instruments are cleaned for surgery.
The foot-soaking tubs are another cesspool of infection that Spalding says some salons are eliminating. Now they are going to tubs that have liners. They dont use the jets as much. And they are coming up with something called a dry pedicure, where they just take hot towels and soak the feet, Spalding said.
Read Also: Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good For Nail Fungus
If You Have Toenail Fungus Or Want To Avoid Getting It Here Are Several Toenail Fungus Mistakes To Watch Out For
Please check that the pedicurist or spa that you visit is not a source of nail fungus. You need to be assured that the staff always sterilize both the tools they use as well as the pedicure tubs for soaking you feet in before they start to work on your toenails.
- Make sure to disinfect your own shower or tub. The problem is that toenail fungus loves warm, wet places like your shower or tub. So be sure to scrub your shower or tub and disinfect it with a bleach-based cleanser regularly.
- Hoping your toenail fungus will go away on its own. As much as we would love to think that toenail fungus will disappear on its own, that is not the case. Nail fungus is usually chronic and likely to spread to your other toes and even to other parts of your body. So treating it right away is an absolute must.
- Your feet need to breath so be careful what you wear on your feet. For example, wearing tight or heavy, thick shoes like work boots are usually very moist and perfect breeding grounds for toenail fungus. And tight closed-toe shoes can also put painful pressure on your infected toenails, making things worse. Instead wear looser shoes that breathe and even better, sandals or flip flops if you can.
- Remember that public spaces like swimming pools can provide another type of breeding ground. Always wear a pair of flip flops when you visit public showers, the gym and the local pool to protect your feet from these fungus-infested places.
One: Help Avoid And Actively Remove Spores From Your Environment
- Wipe down your showers, floors and high-risk surfaces with an antifungal detergent
- Hot-was your bed sheets and socks with an antifungal laundry wash like Canesten
- Wear thongs in public areas like swimming pools, showers and changing rooms
- Treat any existing Athletes foot infections
- Keep your toenails trimmed and remove the build-up of dead skin, dirt and bacteria from beneath your toenails
- Dont share shoes or socks with someone who has a fungal nail infection
- Avoid nail salons that have questionable hygiene practices or dont sterilise their instruments
Also Check: Do Probiotics Kill Toenail Fungus
On My First Visit Dr Patel Diagnosed The Problem As Plantar Fasciitis And Began Treatment
I was dealing with nearly unbearable pain in my left foot. I was barely able to get through each day. I was sure my neuropathy was the problem. I went to a local podiatrist who told me the only problem I had was the neuropathy in my feet and I needed to see a neurologist. After conferring with my family doctor he referred me to Dr. Sanjay Patel.
On my first visit, Dr. Patel diagnosed the problem as Plantar Fasciitis and began treatment. After following Dr. Patels advice I no longer have pain in my left foot.
Keep Nail Equipment Clean
When I first got my first pair of Nail Clippers, I was astonished at how simple it was to use and how easy it was to keep the tools clean. The first thing I did was put them in the dryer for a few minutes to loosen up any dirt or debris on the wheels.
A natural cleaning agent was applied to the soft plastic handle of each item to make it easier to manipulate. Then, each tool is placed in the pad where they would be inserted into the toenail. I even found out later that there are a variety of available pads that were made especially for the purposes of providing protection from the sun.
After making sure that the toenails were ready for insertion, I first started by putting a firm, flat and smooth surface on the footwear to keep the surfaces of the nails against the body of the shoes. You can use a toothpick, felt tip pen, cardboard, toilet paper, or anything that will fit in the shoe. Depending on your nails, you may have to do this several times during the day.
As you are inserting the nail, you will find that there are a number of different ways to do this. Some people prefer to poke it with a tweezers and others may use a plastic stick to slide into the groove. When using a stick to slip into the grooves, make sure to make an angled force that prevents the stick from cutting the root of the nail. This will help to keep it from growing and infecting the toenail as well as the body.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Cure My Toenail Fungus
What Foods Can You Enjoy To Prevent Toenail Fungus
There isnt a magical cure against toenail fungus, as far as diet is concerned. But you can prevent fungi from wreaking havoc on your skin and nails by strengthening your immune system and improving your overall health.
Help keep your body fungus free by saying yes to:
- Calcium and vitamin D. Dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt are rich in calcium. If youre lactose intolerant, however, you can still get a good dose of calcium from seeds, seafood, leafy greens, legumes, and tofu. Seafood, egg yolks and mushrooms, meanwhile, are rich in vitamin D.
- Fatty acids. Get your dose of good cholesterol from fish, walnuts, flaxseed, eggs, seaweed, soybean and spinach. You may also take a fish oil supplement.
- Probiotics.Foods rich in probiotics such as yogurt or yogurt drinks balances the amount of good bacteria in your system. This helps prevent fungal overgrowth. Make sure, however, to check for sugar content. Some yogurt drinks can be high in sugar, which can cancel out their antifungal effects.
- Lean protein.Aside from lean meat and seafood, you get also get lean protein from nuts, tofu and egg whites.
- Iron. Shellfish, spinach, legumes and quinoa are good sources of iron. And if youd like to spoil yourself a bit without going overboard on sugar, an ounce of dark chocolate contains 3.3 mg of iron, which is 19% of the recommended daily allowance.
When To Contact A Doctor
Toenail fungus is typically not a significant problem for most people. However, if there are no improvements or complications occur as a result of home remedies, people should speak with a doctor and stop using the home remedy as soon as possible. It is also advisable to contact a podiatrist if a person notices any discoloration, thickening, or abnormality of the toenails.
Furthermore, people at higher risk for complications should seek medical treatment for their toenail fungus and avoid home remedies altogether. This includes those with diabetes or with weakened immune systems.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Get Fungus In Your Lungs
Trying Simple Hygiene Measures
Treatments For Toenail Fungus
Toenail fungus can be difficult to treat, and getting rid of it can take a long time. Ointments, antifungal pills and laser treatments can be used. The treatments are similar for children and adults, but it can be hard to keep up with daily regimens in children.
Where to start:
- Over-the-counter options include applying 100% tea tree oil twice daily for six months. You should see improvement in the infection, appearance and symptoms. Most topical treatments take at least this long to work because a new, uninfected nail must come in.
- Tea tree oil cures fungal toenail infection in about 18% of people who try it. It also improves nail appearance and symptoms in up to 60% of patients after six months of treatment.
- I donât advise soaking your toes in tea tree oil or other solutions meant to kill fungus. This has not been proven to kill nail fungus effectively.
If more treatment is needed:
Don’t Miss: Can Tea Tree Oil Help Nail Fungus
Clear Nails Do Not Assure Nail Fungus Cure
Treating nail fungus does not happen overnight. In fact, making the discoloration and the thickness of the nails disappear after undergoing a treatment does not give total assurance that the fungi that caused the infection are completely killed.
Amid available treatment options for nail fungus such as topical, oral, surgical, and laser treatments the rate of getting completely cured from a nail fungus treatment is only at about 60% to 80%.
Even a surgical treatment or the removal of the infected nail does not assure that the new nail will be 100% cured, which means that there are chances that the fungus may not have been killed.
Practice Good Foot Hygiene
Taking good care of your feet is probably the most important thing you can do to help prevent a toenail fungal infection from occurring in the first place. We recommend washing your feet with an antibacterial soap on a daily basis, then drying them thoroughly with a fresh clean towel. You can also use a foot powder to absorb any moisture left behind as well as using an antifungal spray. Keep your nails short, filed and trimmed straight across and always be sure youre using clean tools.
Read Also: Can You Put Acrylic Nails Over Fungus
Cover The Affected Area In Oregano Oil
Believe it or not, the tasty herb can also work wonders for treating toenail fungus at home. According to a 2020 study published in the Journal of Skin Appendage Disorders, researchers found that oreganos antibacterial properties are able to inhibit fungal growth in nails when included in an essential oil blend.
While the effectiveness of oregano oil has only been known anecdotally, thymola common component of oregano oilhas been reviewed to be an effective antibacterial and antifungal agent, Hayag says. People with toenail fungus can apply the product to affected areas twice daily and can expect no improvement, partial improvement, or complete improvement of their toenail fungus after using oregano oil. That said, she mentioned that oregano oil is quite potent and can cause an adverse reaction if you have particularly sensitive skin. For this reason, she recommends starting with a patch test. Additionally, to prevent an adverse reaction, consider mixing oregano oil with a carrier oil, such as olive or avocado oils, to dilute its potency.
How To Prevent Infections Or Reinfections
Fungus grows in warm, moist, dark environments, so the tight, dark, sweaty confines of your shoe present a perfect setting for fungus to flourish. In order to fight infection, you must work to keep your feet dry and away from any spores.
Here are some tips to avoid getting infected or having the infection get worse.
Don’t Miss: Does Vicks Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus