How To Prevent Toenail Fungus
Preventing toenail fungus may not be at the top of your to-do list, but perhaps it should be. A healthy foot depends on good hygiene, so it is crucial to keep the toes clean and dry. Follow these six tips to prevent nail fungal infections.
- Short and Clean Nails You can make use of a manicure kit to brush up your nails. Keeping nails short and clean will prevent the bacteria from getting clogged under the nails.
- Use Preventive Gloves Wearing gloves while washing dishes or cleaning clothes will not only prevent you from getting in contact with the bacteria but also keeps your hand dry.
- Wear Ventilating Socks If you plan to sweat while wearing socks, it is better to avoid both cotton and woolen socks. This is where synthetic socks have an advantage, as they wont allow moisture to buildup and get clogged inside the socks.
- Wear Shoes in Public Places Make sure you always wear shoes or sandals at places shared by others like gym, stations, malls, etc.
- Personal Hygiene Last but not least, try to practice good hygiene. Allow maximum air to reach your nails. It can be achieved to a great extent by avoiding tight shoes that may create a sweat environment for your nails. It is always better to opt for open-toed shoes.
How Does Tea Tree Oil Break Down Nail Fungus
IMP: Nail fungus can be challenging to treat because it may not resolve right away. Consistent use brings results but keep in mind that the results wont be immediate.
Among its healing benefits, tea tree oil may be an effective treatment for nail fungus. This essential oil fights off the build up of fungus by breaking down the structure of dermatophyte. This is the particular fungi growing in your nails that causes the appearance of yellow toenails.
But when did it decide to put up a house on your toes? Well, this fungi can be accidentally picked up from walking around public pools, while changing in locker rooms, and from other similar types of activity. The pesky fungus, like its family, thrives in wet and warm environments. Unfortunately your feet become the perfect host but this is so not desirable.
Luckily, Tea Tree Oil is extremely potent in its antibacterial and antifungal capabilities, so dermatophyte is fought off using the natural treatment. Once its applied, it seeps down into the bed of the nail and starts to infiltrate the accumulated bacteria. It takes time, but you will notice a steady improvement as long as you are consistent with your applications.
Once you start to see some improvement, its important that you shave away the access part of the nail so that more oil can seep into the lower layers of the nail for continued improvement. As a precaution always remember to dilute the oil before using it or you can have some undesirable reactions.
What Are The Effects Of Tea Tree Oil On Nail Fungus
Visible results are obtained only when tea tree oil is used consistently for a couple of months at least. Topical application of natural diluted tea tree oil for 6 months, twice a day can cure the fungal infection and stop a recurrence, leaving your nails healthy and clean.
Apart from treating nail infections, tea tree oil is helpful for a variety of other skin and hair benefits. If tea tree oil is your favourite too, you must know about these several benefits and popular recipes that use tea tree oil.
Read Also: Does Salt Water Kill Toenail Fungus
Use To Treat Athletes Foot
Research has shown that they are 1.5 million people suffering from athlete foot per year in Nigeria.
Athletes foot is a fungal infection that is spread quickly and begins predominantly between toes.
Heres how to use tea tree oil to treat athletes foot
Pro Tips: If youre suffering from any skin inflammation after applying the oil, please discontinue to prevent further damage.
How To Prevent Fungal Infections Of The Feet
- Dry your feet thoroughly after showering, bathing or swimming.
- Wear sandals or breathable shoes as often as possible. Let shoes dry overnight before you wear them again.
- Take your own pedicure tools when going to a salon, or visit a salon that keeps separate tools for each client.
- Do not share nail files, clippers, or other nail care tools.
- Wear socks inside your shoes.
- Wear flip-flops in walking areas of water parks, pools and other wet public areas, such as locker rooms or showers.
You May Like: Can You Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus With Bleach
To 50 Percent Dilution
Consumer Reports outlined the results of the Australasian Journal of Dermatology study where athletes used tea tree oil to resolve fungal infections.
You can also dilute tea tree oil by up to 50 percent in a carrier oil applied twice daily to the affected area to clear up the symptoms of nail fungus.
After just four weeks of application two times per day, the fungal infection was completely gone in more than 50 percent of the study participants.
Tea Tree Oil Vs Common Drugs
So, given all the problems with a lot of the prescription antifungals, there has been a renewed interest in natural remedies. Well, if tea tree oil can affect athletes foot and dandruff fungus, what about nail fungus?
Well, there was this study of a combination of the antifungal drug in Lotrimin cream with tea tree oil that seemed pretty effectivecompared to nothing. But, what about compared to each other? Well, there was one head-to-head study comparing tea tree oil with a common antifungal drug a double-blind, randomized controlled trial. Twice-daily application of either the drug or pure tea tree oil on the nail for 6 months. Debridement was performed every few months, where some of the fungal mass is debulked, scraped, or ground off.
And, after six months, the drug only wiped the fungus out completely in about one in 10 cases, but looked better, with partial or full resolution of the appearance, in the majority of patients, either from the doctors assessment or the patients. And, the tea tree oil did just as well.
The two preparations were comparable in efficacy of cure, clinical assessment, and subjective improvementeven their cost was comparable. So, or patients desiring a natural treatment for , topical tea tree oil is a reasonable alternative to prescription or over-the-counter antifungals.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Medicine For Fungus Nail
Is Tea Tree Oil Really All Its Cracked Up To Be
Collages by Louisiana Mei Gelpi
I dont know what to do about tea tree oil.
A short month ago, I was telling anyone who would listen about this magic little miracle bottle I purchased on a whim from Walgreens. It cures acne! And wounds! And mosquito bites! And nail fungus! And in-grown hairs! And 25 other things that I havent tried yet but WILL! I was in a mania, squirting tea tree oil on my dermis with wild abandon, waiting for my glistening, smooth-chinned, fungus-free higher self to emerge from my pimpled cocoon.
When I took to the internet to explore other uses, however, the infallibility of tea tree oil was thrown into question. Wait a second, where was all the evidence? I began to second-guess everything, even the results Id experienced from using tea tree oil on my own body. I didnt know what to believe. Whats even in this little bottle? Does it work like I think it does? Why do so many people swear by it? I needed answers, so I got serious about finding the cold, hard facts and reached out to a couple of experts, too.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Know If My Toenail Fungus Is Dying
How To Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus With Tea Tree Oil
Onychomycosis, or better known as toenail fungus, is a fungal infection that affects the toenails. This type of fungus prefers warm, moist environments, like gym showers and public pools. Unfortunately, human toes also present an ideal environment for the fungus, which is why the toenails are often the first body parts to become infected.
The symptoms of a toenail fungus infection are easy to identify. In many cases, the infection starts with a white or yellow spot under the tip of the toenail. The infected nail often becomes thicker than normal, and it can become yellow in color. The nail can also become brittle, loose, or have a warped appearance, so even ladies can’t always hide it under nail polish.
Toenail fungus is resilient, but it’s very treatable when addressed early on. Toenail fungus is often dealt with by being prescribed medication. However, those medications often come with many unpleasant side effects. Luckily, toenail fungus responds just as well to home remedies, which provide a natural, safe, and easy way to help treat fungal infections. One of the best home remedies to help with a toenail fungus infection is tea tree oil, an essential oil known especially for its purifying properties.
Recommended Reading: Can Soaking Your Feet In Epsom Salt Help Toenail Fungus
Toenail Fungus Is Difficult To Treat
Fungi of all types are readily available in the world around you, for the most part they leave us alone and we leave them alone. However, there are a few Fungi that find places on the human body to be quite pleasant. What starts as a small yellow or white patch at the end of the nail can quickly spread to the rest of the nail.
Toenail fungus can result in thickened, chalky, splitting and even foul-smelling nails. This problem is not one that will cause you serious medical issues, but who wants to go around with cracking, thickening or smelly nails? One of the biggest problems with this disorder is the fact that it buries deep within the nail bed, beneath the nail itself making it rather difficult to apply topical treatments. It is often after a few failed attempts with traditional medicine that leads to testing out tea tree oil for nail fungus.
Tips And Precautions When Using Oregano Oil For Toenail Fungus Treatment:
- Patch test before trying regular treatments.
- Trim the nails and clean the nails before applying the treatment on nail fungus.
- Dry your feet and hands completely after showering.
- Keep the nails always dry to prevent the formation of fungus.
- Cut the nails short regularly.
- Avoid wearing shoes as much as you can. Try using flip flops often.
- Wear cotton socks to the nails breathe.
- Wash your socks regularly with hot water and soap.
- Dust some fungal powder before wearing socks.
- Avoid walking bare foot in public places, moist and damp areas.
- Dont share your footwear with others.
Are you going to try oregano oil for treating your nail fungus then share your experience with us in the comments section below. For more articles, stay tuned with our website.
Read Also: Whats Good For Skin Fungus
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus For Good
Toenail Fungus Tea Tree Oil Cure Review:
- There is no doubt that Tea Tree Oil is anti-fungal, and it will get you some results.
- But how good are these results?
- If you meet the criteria above it probably will work.
- But if you have complete nail involvement on many nails, poor blood flow and are not very healthy- then it probably wont work. It simply wont penetrate the thick nail and get below it.
What The Experts Say
The most common presentation of toenail fungus is a white/yellow discoloration of the nail that is thick and filled with yellow/white keratin debris. The more severe the toenail fungus, the thicker the nail, and the more nails involved makes it that much harder to treat the nails even with effective therapies.” Orit Markowitz, MD, founder and CEO of OptiSkin treatment center in New York City.
You May Like: Does Alcohol Kill Toenail Fungus
Tips To Prevent Toenail Fungus
But once you have achieved that goal, you will want to move forward and take these steps to ensure you dont inadvertently get reinfected with the fungi again!
Here are the basic steps to prevent another case of nail fungus:
» Keep your toenails neatly trimmed and dry.» Use gloves when working with water or moisture to keep nails dry.» Choose socks and shoes with natural ventilation.» Practice personal hygiene and do not share foot or hand lotions or other products.» Always wear shoes in damp public places.
Coconut Oil And Tea Tree Oil For Toenail Fungus:
Coconut oil is one of the most effective oil for any problem, it has anti fungal properties, because of its strong properties it is considered a natural remedy in treating toenail fungus.
- 2 drop Tea tree oil
- Cotton ball
- First take a cotton ball put 1 drop of coconut oil
- And then 2 drop of tea tree oil
- Then bind the ball with bandage to you toe before going to bed and leave it overnight.
Best time & Repetitions: Apply the mixture once in a day preferably at night. You can notice improvements within 4 weeks.
Recommended Reading: Will Toenail Fungus Go Away On Its Own
Precautions To Take For Preventing Or Treating Nail Fungus
- Maintain short and clean nails as it helps to prevent bacteria getting clogged up under the nails. Use a manicure kit to maintain clean nails.
- Make sure to wear shoes or sandals in public places like swimming pool, gym, and others. As nail fungus is contagious, it can easily spread in these places.
- Prefer wearing sandals instead of shoes if it is not necessary. Shoes create a warm and dark environment which can lead to fungal growth.
- Make sure to wear ventilated socks which restrict moisture buildup and promote air circulation.
- Wear preventive gloves while cleaning clothes or washing dishes. It helps to avoid any further complications and also keeps your hands dry.
- If nail fungus persists even after trying home remedies for more than 8 weeks then consults a podiatrist.
- Instead of normal nail polishes, it is better to use medicated ones.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Oil Of Oregano For Toenail Fungus
Oregano oil should be applied in very small quantities. Undiluted application of oregano oil can cause irritation and redness of the skin. As oregano oil is very strong it is good to dilute it with any other carrier oil. If the direct application is not causing side effects then you can use it directly. Oral usage of essential oil doesnt have any significant side effects. However, a higher dosage of oregano oil or supplements can cause upset stomach and worsen bleeding. Furthermore, some people can be allergic to the essential oil so they should avoid it. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid oral consumption of oregano oil.
How To Prevent Toenail Fungus From Reoccurring
Here are some quick and actionable ways to prevent fungus infection.
Tea Tree Oil Orange Oil And Grape Seed Oil
Orange oil has shown promising results in treating nail fungus as it contains fungicidal properties. Grape seed oil is also rich in antifungal and antibacterial properties
- Mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil, ½ teaspoon each of grape seed oil, and orange oil.
- Dip a cotton ball in oil mixture and hold it against the affected nail for 3 minutes.
- Remove cotton ball and let nail dry completely.
- Repeat the application daily to achieve the results.
Note: Grape seed oil can be replaced with coconut oil.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Back Fungus
Why Do We Use Tea Tree Oil For Nail Fungus
Tea tree oil has extensive applications for beauty and health. It is an inexpensive essential oil that has antiseptic, antibiotic and antifungal properties. The antibiotic properties of the oil fight against ailments such as burns, skin infections and skin disorders such as eczema.
The antifungal properties of the oil cure fungal infections on the nails and improve the health and appearance of the nails.
Using Tea Tree Oil On Your Nails
Before using tea tree oil for toenail fungus, make an appointment and talk to your doctor about your infection. You may need to take a prescription medication to deal with the problem if you have any other illnesses or health conditions. Your doctor can let you know if tea tree oil is likely to work safely for you. Once you have talked to your doctor, return to Walgreens, where youll find many tea tree oil products. Choosing a liquid extract will likely be best for your needs. Typically, tree oil soaps and skin care creams do not have a high enough concentration of the herb to fully address the fungal infection, which can be difficult to treat. Use a disposable cotton swab to spread the oil onto your toenail. It can take several months for nail fungus to respond to any type of treatment, so be sure to continue to use the product as recommended by your doctor for as long as he or she suggests. Tea tree oil may cause swelling of the skin or redness around your nail. Be sure to keep the cap on the bottle of your extract, as the oil is more likely to cause reactions when it is exposed to the air. It may not be safe for young boys to use tea tree oil to address toenail fungus due to concerns about how the herb affects hormone levels in the body.
*The total item count is approximate. The count will be inaccurate when sponsored products are displayed, when multiple sizes or colors of a product are grouped on a single product card, and when the in-stock filter is applied.
Don’t Miss: How Does Tea Tree Oil Work On Toenail Fungus